Wednesday, August 13, 2008

An Evening with ...

"Just an evening??"

... Joe Purdy, Meiko, Jay Nash and Chris Seefried at Schuba's last night was just what you should be doing on a random Tuesday. I really went to see Joe Purdy. I love his music, his vibe, and everything about his songs. I was also hoping Steve might like him as well so I convinced him to go because I said I thought he may have a "country influence." Who knows. I think I owe him a Skynyrd concert now. We have a lot of things in common. Music is not one of them.


Joe Purdy was of course wonderful, Jay Nash surprised me by being better than I thought. The only song I knew was "Sweet Talking Liar" which I really like but he put on a nice set. There is no band, everyone (especially Chris Seefried) plays back-up for each other on certain songs so it's all acoustic. Jay Nash isn't hard to look at either, ladies.

But Meiko blew me away. You know how sometimes you hear an Indie girl on a CD (I won't name names) and they sound great and then you see them live and you're like - what happened? And they still sound good live, but it's different? Well, that's not Meiko. If anything she commands more attention when she's on stage because you can't help but be sucked into every song. That voice is out of control. The other thing, the creepier thing is the fact she has the personality of my best friend Andrea. Even Steve noticed. Same humor, same mannerisms, same bad jokes (even though they're funny, because of the delivery). I mean same EXACT humor. How does that happen?? She was even wearing a scarf. Maybe it's an LA thing. I think she said "da Bears, oh God, that's embarrassing I said that" and we were really convinced. She comments on her own jokes. Andrea is the only other person I know that does that. Maybe I should send her a Farley shirt too.

"Boys with Girlfriends" and "Piano Song" stand out but "Under My Bed" was great after she gave the back-up story. Meiko is lovely. They all are lovely. And it was fun having them all in the crowd as the others were performing. You can tell they are enjoying this tour.

No comments: