
At least, that's what I think.
The Steinhagens have had a rough couple of days. We had to make, so far, the toughest decision we have ever made. Vinney sent a third person to the emergency room on Monday night. The bites have gotten consistently worse, and this was only triggered by Steve's Dad trying to pet him, and he would not let go. He went home with 17 stitches.
I wish I could tell you why he got worse. I wish I had an answer, a moment I could tell you he became aggressive. But it's been getting worse over an entire year. He started being aggressive with other dogs, then strangers, then sometimes us. We learned his triggers, we tried to avoid them. We attended obedience classes, we worked with him at home with a trainer. You couldn't discipline him, or tell him no firmly, he would respond aggressively. But, he was our dog, and we loved him. Then he bit our dog walker, someone he knew from the beginning, then he bit Steve, on the lip - and sent us to the emergency room and home with 11 stitches, then he bit our friend, then he snapped at George, and everytime we said - we will work on it. This is not his fault, he was abused before us. But he scared us Monday night, and we knew we had no more options. We can't put Jane, or anyone else at risk.
I want to thank every single person I've talked to at CEBR this past week, especially the Directors. Your support, and direction has been incredible. I think the decision itself was the hardest, although the drive out to Dr. Navin's today was not easy. Steve stayed with him, we didn't want him to be alone. Coming home, being home is hard. The house is too quiet.

I get rescue. I love rescue. We will ALWAYS rescue. You take the good with the bad. You take an animal who wasn't given a shot, and you give him one. I don't know how people can choose *not* to rescue with all the unwanted animals in this country. But I can say with all my heart we gave Vinney everything we could for our wonderful three years with him. He was loved, cared for medically, fed, played with, walked, and trained. I know his actions were not his fault, but the fault of someone before us who if I ever found, I would hurt.
He will always be part of our family. The last six months, he wasn't finding the joy in things he used to - in his walks, in his time with us, he even snapped at George. He was scared, or anxious every waking moment and responded with aggression, we tried to teach him other ways to cope with it but it never seemed to click. I'd like to think he's up in heaven now, with Winston, napping and waiting for us one day.

We will always love, and miss you Vin. I hope you are at peace now.

6 comments:
Ah Jennifer, I am incredibly sorry. I know how much you loved Vinney and he of course knows how much you, Steve, George and now Jane cared for him. You did what you needed to do. My thoughts are with you and I'm so sorry.
Jennifer, You are in my thoughts. Sad when things like this happen and I know Vinny had a GREAT life with you guys. He is happier now and you know you did the right thing, as hard and as sad as it is.
I'm so sorry Jennifer! Sending my warm hugs and love. Such a difficult decision. I hope the rescue community continues to appreciate your dedication and love to the bullies.
I'm so sorry Jennifer. I know this must have been difficult, but I hope you have made peace with everything and can go on knowing you guys did everything you could for Vinney!
Jen, I know what you went through with Vin as our dogs are very similar in personality and Rodger and I came to the conclussion in December - before the prozac that it had to work, or we would have to put him to sleep as well. The biting because of anxiety and abuse in his past is heartbreaking and you could not have given him a better place to live the last years of his life.
Much love to you and your family.
Cat
Thinking of you Jennifer. What a beautiful story, I just cried and cried when I read it. You have done so much for Vinney and even at the end, you showed him love and compassion and peace. Thank you for what you do for rescue. I am so sorry for your loss.
~Chandra
Post a Comment