Friday, February 11, 2011

My dream casting of the Hunger Games ..

In case you've been living under a rock, and have not read Suzanne Collins trilogy starting with the Hunger Games - do yourself this favor and read them. I tried to explain *why* to my book club and I came off looking like a crazy-sci-fi-fan-girl but they trust me, we all read it, and everyone loved it.

And now, of course, its being made into movie. And why wouldn't they? In The Hunger "Games", two tributes from each district are sent to a kill-or-be-killed battle of survival (last man alive wins). Then, the sick part is that the tributes are children chosen randomly, from ages 12-18. Katniss Everdeen decides to enter so her little sister, who is picked, doesn't have to. They all live in this world controlled by a far-off Capital who televises these games for entertainment and keeps a close eye on every single thing in each district (a bit 1984).

My friends and I have cast a lot of movies, no one seems to listen but we still have a good time. So, without further ado, here is who *I* would cast for the trilogy ...

Katniss:


My pick is Hailee Steinfeld, which a lot of people do not like as a choice because they feel Katniss should be an unknown. And maybe a lot of people did see True Grit but the 13/14 YEAR OLD earned a Golden Globe nomination and an Oscar nomination for this movie, acting along some huge stars. And she did not look *pretty* in the film. The pictures of her on the red carpet are of course stunning but I never, ever thought Katniss was supposed to be beautiful. So it has to be someone who doesn't mind getting dirty, but can shine when Cinna gets her hands on her. Plus - Hailee has Filipino and African-American in her - and they describe Katniss as having olive skin. I realize she's a little young but bottom line, this girl has got to be able to act, because being the Mockingjay is a big responsibility.

THAT SAID, the more I think about it, the more I do realize this will probably go to a no-name, because they will have to sign on for all three and that's a huge time commitment.

Gale:



I always saw Gale as tall, dark and handsome. But in a very rugged way. (Can you tell I was Team Gale?). My pick is Emilie Hirsh. Though he might be a little older, they can make him look younger but this is the rogue, rough and tough Gale I had in my mind the entire time. The guy who probably never cracks a smile but is absolutely loyal to Katniss and her family ....


Peeta
:


I always thought of Peeta as "cute", and a bit of a teddy bear. So my vote here is William Mosley. I'm not totally sold though, I still don't think I've seen the right guy, so maybe an unknown here would work even better. Am I the only one that remembers Peeta on the bigger size? I mean, not fat, but a big guy, he's the son of a baker who never wanted for food right?

Prim
:



No doubt in my mind, when I started to think about this - Abagail Breslin. Again, this needs to be a pretty solid little actress.

Rue:


Madison Pettis. Because I don't want this role going to Willow Smith. Whip that.

Haymitch:



I would love to see a real name get this role and maybe because I am just in love with him and want to see him in every movie, I would pick Robert Downey Jr. I think he could bring out the humor and nail the hangovers. I did see somewhere a vote for Michael Emerson from Lost and I wouldn't cry about that either.
Cinna:


Why do I see Jude Law here??

Effie:


Everyone, and I do mean everyone is saying Kristin Chenoweth and I couldn't agree more. So, we all agree and I'd hope this is a done deal.

Mrs. Everdeen:


I'd like to see someone good here. So I will pick Laura Linney. Because when in doubt, pick Laura Linney for any character and you will succeed.

Finnich Odair:


Taylor Kitsch. I mean, it just fits, right? Finnick is a Water God, a Sun Child, I mean, couldn't you see Taylor carrying a freaking trident?? Get on this people!
President Snow:


Christoph Waltz. Because you're *supposed* to be terrified of him.

Okay, I know there are several more characters but these are the biggies for me ... thoughts please?!



3 comments:

JCHS Counseling said...

You are a genius! I love your casting ideas! Especially Prim and Finnich!!!

Stephanie said...

Love it.

This is a very "wishful thinking" cast. The only person I really have an opinion of is Gale. Hirsch is too old. I love him, but I just don't see it.

melina said...

You are totally right on. I didn't think I'd agree on Gale, but you're right. I love your thoughts on Katniss and Prim. Fun!