
It was either going to be Black Swan or the King's Speech for Renee and I time frame wise, and The King's Speech worked out better. How thankful I am of that. We both agreed our moods would have been *quite* different if we had seen Black Swan, and while I still want to see it, I am so thrilled I did not this past weekend.
The story is primarily about King George (Colin Firth) the VI struggling to overcome his stutter. You catch all points of history, with the war, Hitler, but we mainly focus on the radio announcements and public speaking that terrifies him. His wife (Helena Bonham Carter, spectacular cast) finds an unlikely speech therapist in Australian Lionel Logue (played by Geoffrey Rush). The main relationship you see is King George ("Bertie") and Lionel. I left thinking - well Geoffrey Rush is AMAZING and then had to remind myself - wait, Colin Firth doesn't actually have a stutter!
Please see this movie, I know it's not everywhere but it is absolutely worth your time and money (hey, it was $5.50 at the Davis Theater in Lincoln Square).

3 comments:
We were going to see that this weekend, but somehow got distracted. So good to hear it is worth it - gonna put it on the list for this weekend now!
Although I typically love anything involving Colin Firth and or Helena Bonham Carter, I particularly loved this movie. The three of them were simply terrific. Dang. Now I want to spend the rest of my night watching Room with a View, and then Pride and Prejudice...
I keep hearing rave reviews about this and Oscar nominations. Good to know!
Post a Comment