BUT, I fear we're taking it a step too far. A co-worker and I had a conversation about the "outrageous" necklace I chose to buy for my wedding, which would have went with dress #1. It was clearly a statement piece, with white flowers, gold, teal beads, just lovely. A piece that would stand out. As most of you know, I went with dress #2 and the necklace did not make the journey. I have worn it a few times since, and that statement I thought I would be making, is muted compared to what is out there now.
Some examples of ... too much.
Tom Binns, I absolutely love you. But I can't do this. I want to clasp my neck at the sight of it.
they-can-all-just-suck-it.
Vera. Who is going to wear this on their wedding day? Come on. Most photographers have flashes.
This bib reminds me of a piece I saw on the host of Countdown Chicago where I honestly looked at Steve and said "enough with the bibs everywhere" and got a confused response. My main point here: I am worried we're getting sloppy (aka tacky) with our bibs.
And now we come to the "clarification" section. I honestly love big necklaces, made well. I remember seeing Amy Adams in this piece at the Oscars last March and actually gasping out loud at the TV. I know it wasn't a favorite of everyones but *everything* about this, to me, is perfect. The color of her dress, the color/style of her hair, her bright blue eyes, it just brings out the beauty of this breathtaking piece by Fred Leighton.
Anthropologie has really done it right with the statement pieces, in my eyes. And of course you can find BEAUTIFUL, original, HAND-MADE pieces on Etsy.
I just want us to stop trying to one-up each other by making each bib bigger and more eccentric and taking away from the chicness and the originality of some of these fabulous pieces. I don't want to see soccer Mom's wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and a bib they got at JC Penny on the weekend.
So dears - wear, with care.

1 comment:
The "I love black" necklace is hideous!
Post a Comment