Friday, January 22, 2010

Thank you, ABC

Just wanted to write a quick thank-you to ABC for providing me an hour of comedy that I absolutely will not miss.

(I've also heard the Middle is good - thoughts?).


Modern Family is a show Entertainment Weekly raved about so I set it for the DVR and was hooked after the pilot. It's a show Steve *and* I enjoy, which is a rare find. I love the mockumentary style. The cast (every single actor) is outstanding. And the material is sharp, current and biting. It has to be the best new family comedy out there. It's also hard to say who I enjoy more as a character. Cam, Manny and Gloria get the most outlandish lines but Phil is slowly becoming my favorite. You know that guy. And honestly, I'm worried I'm married to that guy sometimes. Anything Phil does receives loud laughter from Steve Steinhagen.

Wednesday 9/8 c, ABC

I was worried for Cougar Town since a lot of people didn't seem to be watching it, but the Golden Globe nod for Courtney Cox has to help. I love how goofy she is on the show, and yet totally vulnerable. She will do just about anything to make you laugh and it works. The cast really is growing on me. I was already a fan of Busy Phillips before but she fits perfectly as Jule's younger, single, friend trying to get her to act 20, post-divorce. Her best friend next door, Ellie (Christa Miller - Scrubs) is sometimes the voice of reason, but usually is just brutally honest (cup of tea M&M's? Loved it).

The reviews on this were not that good, and I am sure the ratings were helped by Modern Family but this sense of humor makes me laugh - every single week and it continues to get better. I love her ex Bobby, and I love her son Travis. I also love (and this is getting totally overlooked) the style on the show. The dresses the girls are in are so loud, obnoxious and full of bright color that you know exactly where they are. They are not trying to be Gossip Girl in New York. They are sporting the hottest trends of Gulf Haven, Florida.

Wednesday, 9:30/8:30 c, ABC


On a serious note, if you missed it on Monday, the full episode of Oprah on texting/calling when driving is an important segment for all of us to watch. There is also a 15 min short that might work better for you as well. 15 minutes is really all you need to see. It will make that much of an impact. You can also sign the No Phone Zone Pledge on her website which I did today.

This segment on what you *don't* see when distracted REALLY opened my eyes too.

A friend pointed out something important today as well, it's even scarier when you think of how many people AREN'T paying attention while driving. I realize all we can control is what is going on in our own car, and for that, and that alone - watch the clip and sign the pledge. I can't fathom how officers in the City of Chicago can possibly regulate cell phone use in cars when they won't even pull someone over for running a red light. This has to be self-enforced. Please take some time and review. It could easily be you taking someone's life, all it took the people on this show was one text/call.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Phil is my favorite character. By far. The episode about him holding a grude against his wife with hopes of getting a robot in 10-15 years? Good stuff.

One line from Phil this week - one word actually - that set us off into a fit of giggles: "FACE!"

Mel said...

Modern Family is hilarious. We love it!

The CPD actually do pull people over for not stopping at stop signs though. There are at least 3 of them in front of our place every week. ;)

I used to text while driving on the old phones when I didn't even have to look at the phone to do it. I just knew how many times I had to hit the numbers for the right letter and I knew my keypad in my sleep. (Shame on me. That was also in like 2004.)

With the touchpads nowadays, there is NO WAY I would ever text while driving. I rarely ever drive anyway.

Sean only talks on phone if he has his bluetooth. He won't even answer if he forgets it or it's dead. No texting going on there.

~ Shannon said...

Courtney still needs to stop messing with her face, though.

Lo said...

The Middle is good, not as good as the other two, but I usually watch it because the other two are on after and I LOVE THEM. Modern Family and Cougar Town are hilarious. I too, love all the characters. I think Phil is too funny, the way him and his wife are is great. On CT- Courtney Cox is wonderful and I love her and her son. You are right- can't miss shows!

Wait. What? said...

I love Modern Family!!!