Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Seattle Baby Shower for Jane

You know those very rare moments you have where you're at an absolute loss for words due purely to the kindness of others?


I just got back from a wonderful trip to Seattle/Issaquah/Renton to see friends from all points and time in my life who came together for a fun and entertaining shower for Jane. The idea of a shower had been thrown around but it seemed a long way to go and really, who would want to come to something like that? I ran it by Shannon, Pemerl (Amy) and Karrie who all seemed on board with the idea and got the ball rolling. The benefits, I suppose, of having a husband who travels all the time is getting to use his miles every once in a while for trips like these.

(All the hosts - Karrie, Lyla, Amy, Isabelle and Shannon)


Karrie sent out the invites and basically I had little to do with the rest. I invited some friends I talk to everyday, some friends who I have recently gotten in touch with over the years, and some I just know will always be friends. Like my friend Angie below. The best of friends in middle school, basically spent every waking moment together and now we get to catch up. I know Facebook gets made fun of a lot but I would have never found people like Angie, or Natalie again if wasn't for that network.


Basically my memories of growing up somehow revolve around softball, ponies, the Knodels and the Bahrs. I was so lucky to have all the Knodels there, and half of the Bahrs, including my Godmother who I have not seen in way too long. The problem with coming to Seattle is you are only there for a such a short period of time, you can never get to see everyone you want to.

Sally, Jennifer and Linda


I was also surrounded heavily by many Cougs - including many of my sorority AXO sisters. I even had a great little contingent of people I used to work with. (Krista, you look amazing). I know Amy, Karrie, and Shannon worked their butt off to get the food and drinks flowing and Amy decorated her fabulous house up for the occasion but I'm not even sure how to "thank" them properly. Doesn't seem like the word goes far enough.

I have yet to really grasp the idea of this love that is about to come, the love for my child. To be honest, I haven't thought much about it. I'm still getting my head around how much I can possibly love my husband (so much more than I ever imagined). That even thinking about a life, made by the two of us generally results in my brain shutting off and ignoring for another time. This shower was the first time I started to think about it. Look at all these people, these friends, some practically family, all here for Jane! She is one very special and lucky little girl to be surrounded by all this support, love and experience, as so many are Mom's now.
Tonight I get to meet Samuel Gregory, born last Friday to one of my oldest friends Jo. I am so excited.
And finally, a pregnant picture. Since a lot of you ask and it seems I have a habit of taking pictures from the belly UP. Shannon was nice enough to take this one of all the belly, and of course, one where I am eating. Something I have become quite good at lately.

Again - thank you everyone who came to the shower and everyone who has sent me Congratulations emails, cards, etc. It means the world to us.

4 comments:

WorshipKrista said...

Yay! I'm so happy to have seen you again - thanks for inviting me :) Jane is a VERY lucky girl and I can't wait to read her little miss fashion blog. For sure! :)

Wait. What? said...

I remember when I was pregnant and taking leave with my first baby, the office where i worked, shut down for an afternoon and threw me a suprise baby shower... and it was not just the hormones that made me cry.

Memories to never forget, and beins surrounded by so much love is a wonderful or should I say Wohnderful way to begin in this world!

pbb said...

thank you for making the trip out here! it was wohnderful to see you and baby JS!!

i can't wait to see the pictures! and let the love flow lady!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations, again, Jennifer! I will be shipping your painting by Friday. :))