Friday, February 5, 2010

Oh, sushi

As I start to see the light at the end of the pregnancy tunnel, several people have asked me what I have missed most being pregnant. I decided to limit that question to food for this blog. As "feeling normal" "being able to bend down" and "not waddling" are probably not gripes anyone needs to hear about.

1. Sushi
Raw/uncooked meats are an absolute no-no. Granted, some people still do it, or go the veggie/cooked fish route. Whatever works for you. I would just rather not walk in the door.

The fish thing comes into play here as well. And I usually take up my fish quota with a tuna melt from Berghoff. All the fish I like is on the high mercury list and to me, why risk it?

2. Lunch meat
Seems so simple doesn't it? Who couldn't give up lunch meat? It's a huge pain, when your lunch generally consists of 4-5 turkey sandwiches a week. Steve has made a few turkeys for me, we've gotten the Trader Joe's baked turkey breast, which has helped. And I've done a few "melts" .. although they are probably not hot enough for my Doctor. But I miss the deli.

3. Blue cheese
So basically any unpasteurised cheese is a no-no due to listeria. This also takes away brie, feta, gorgonzola, all the good salad cheeses. But blue cheese has been tough. I mean, why even bother ordering buffalo wings?


4. Alcohol
I am not a huge drinker. If Steve had to go without beer for 9 months, he might not live. I am what they call, a social drinker. I love, love, love having a few glasses of wine with dinner, with friends or when we're out. And I think the reason this is so far down the list is because I was pregnant mainly over winter. If I had to attend bbq's, and not be able to have my glass of chilled white wine to cool off on a hot summer day, I think it would affect me more. Granted, I plan on breast-feeding this summer, so this list may be amended in time ...


A note. Caffeine also hasn't been a huge issue for me. I think that's because I followed what my Dr., and countless studies said that you could have up to 200 milligrams a day. I doubt I've ever had that much in a day. For the first trimester, I probably had one caffeine drink a week, now I am closer to 4-5x a week. And I know some people swore it off completely. I decided not too. I used to drink a ton of caffeine (Pepsi) but I stopped that after college. Steve bought me a couple of caffeine free Pepsi's and that does the trick when I feel the need for it ...

What did you miss? What do you think you will miss??

5 comments:

Beth said...

This makes me laugh, mainly because I have actually uttered the words: "I don't think I could be pregnant because of the no sushi thing". Wishing you luck on the dragon roll count down!

Mel said...

The sushi has to be tough. I used to think I couldn't live without turkey sammies either, but now that I've been trying to plan ahead and actually bring lunch from home, I don't eat as many. You're almost there!!!!!

Mel said...

Sushi has to be tough. I didn't think I could live w/o turkey sammies either, but since trying to plan ahead and bring lunch from home, I find myself eating them less.

You're almost there!!!!

Lo said...

You can find pasteurized blue cheese and feta at the store. Mostly the imported ones aren't, but there are some local ones that are. Blue cheese was big for me too....and wine :)

Wait. What? said...

I remember eating ice cream every day and asking my doctor about it. She said that would be fine since I was eating three meals, and not making up for the extra calories I should eat, so ice cream worked with the first baby. He came out pink and chubby! you could totally tell I ate so much ice cream with him. LOL


As for what did I miss? I think I missed being able to stay on the go non stop all the time. I remember being so increadibly tired the first semster, the second semester and last one I remember those painful kicks to the cervix that if I was walking would make me stop and double over... OW!

I cannot wait to meet your little Jane!