Thursday, April 29, 2010

Some of my favorites ..


I should have done a blog post earlier! Thanks to all who wrote comments on my blog, sent me emails or put notes on Facebook. They were really amazing to read and made my day/week/month. I've been overwhelmed by the outpouring of help - and not just from current Moms. Laura bringing over Chipotle on a random weeknight (twice!), Donna sending us enough Dream Dinners for a lifetime, all kinds of take-out from friends, Kim offering to watch Jane so Steve and I could go out for our anniversary, my fabulous mother-in-law Arlene coming once a week so I can just get things done (that may or may not include the occasional mani/pedi), and anyone and everyone who has stopped by, the visits have meant SO much.

I know now what you need in the beginning: food and diapers.

I wanted to post a few of my favorite things, that have gotten us through these first six weeks. Some people told me about, some things I found on my own.

1. Starbucks. I can't stress this enough. That soy chai gets me through the day.

2. Baby Bjorn. Stephanie got us a Moby (which I can't wait to use eventually) but because of Jane's hips, we were told not to use a sling just yet and so Donna sent us two of her Bjorns. I have practically worn one out already. We go everywhere with it, and it makes walking da Vin much easier. For the moment we only have one car and since I couldn't pick up anything heavier than Jane, the Bjorn was the way I got to get out in the neighbhorhood. Very key. I mean, where do you think she is right now?


3. Baby Zabu. A very recent purchase but I LOVE this thing, and so does Janey. It's a like a big comfortable pillow/playpen. I put toys in, books, she kicks, we talk and I've recently put the rain forest/jungle deal in it. They also fit in every pack and play and are very easy to move around. Big, big fan.


4. Anita recommended the Skip Hop - Day to Night Log and we use it religiously. Steve, Melina, Arlene and I. It's a great way to remember what she ate and when. The little light is pretty genius.

5. Any, and every type of swaddle I can get my hands on.

The list will continue to grow, but these are just the things for me, that have been tremendous.

My parents are coming into town this weekend to meet Jane Bell for the first time and I know they are so excited. She already looks so different to me, so I can't wait for them to meet her.

We are going to the orthopedic Dr. tomorrow to see about Janey's hip, hopefully all problems will be solved. Steve is leaving for his first work trip this weekend and I am trying not to think too deeply about it, but it does scare the crap out of me. I don't know how you army wives do it, I really don't.

The weather in Chicago is getting better though and for that I am thankful. We've been out a lot. I can't wait till we can plant our flowers in the back!!

3 comments:

Wait. What? said...

All I can say is enjoy, take photo's and live in each wonderful moment. I look back on those years as the best I have ever had being mom.

Much love to all.

MSB said...

Every mom has their own list of things that worked...I had two books I swore by, The Happiest Baby on the Block for the first three months and then Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child after that.

And, mylocin drops. Around our house we called them baby crack!

Momma Bruce and Cubs said...

hey - VERY happy to see you blogging again! But... not just army wives: ALL military wives! :) You'll do fine with Steve gone - promise! God wouldn't give put us through it if we couldn't handle it! AND - when you have no choice you just do it! And as a Mom - you do it GREAT!!! GOOD LUCK