Thursday, March 17, 2011

I always do this ...

I've burned myself in the past (Love Monkey, Lipstick Jungle) when I get into new shows that just up and cancel so I don't know *why* I decided to start not one, but TWO new shows. I think it's because I've given up some of the reality shows I used to watch (American Idol, Real World, etc) and wanted to see if any of these comedies would do it for me.

The trend it seemed this year was trying to bring back some romantic-comedy-couple shows. Better With You, Perfect Couples, Traffic Light .. were all going for the same idea. I watched Perfect Couples and it was AWFUL.

Then I saw the cast for this show. I love Jason Biggs. He is adorable and I have been waiting for him to get a green light somewhere as I think he's funny, and sweet enough to carry a show. I also like Sarah Chaulk from Scrubs (and Roseanne if you all remember, "2nd Becky"). She's goofy and funny and I thought, that is a great idea for a couple. And then the clincher was Judy Greer who has basically played every single best friend in rom-com's to date and always makes me laugh. And you know what? It's not bad. I laugh.


The show I think has the best chance however is Mr. Sunshine. I started watching this because Steve actually taped it and was interested (gasp). Matthew Perry runs a second-tier arena in San Diego and the show is about the arena, the acts that come in and everyone who works there. This is a dark comedy for sure and the writing is outstanding. Allison Janey is perfect as the completely crazy boss and James Lesure is just lovely, as always. Steve's all-time dream is to run an arena which peaked his interest and I think his favorite part of the show is the theme song "Mis-ter Sun-shine, yeah." Matthew Perry actually wrote the pilot and this role is perfect for him.


So here's my plea ... check both of these out. They're only a 1/2 hour each, and let me know your thoughts ...

1 comment:

Mel said...

Better with You and Perfect Couples were BOTH awful. I think I watched on ep of each. Is the Jason Biggs one getting canceled though? I thought I read that...maybe not?