Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The tragic state of shorts

Chillin, chillin, mindin my business ..... when I happened upon an unfortunate clothing item at Forever 21. I realize I should not even be *in* Forever 21 but the accessories lure me (super cheap, great styles, honestly) and then I end up walking around because every once in a while, I can find something. What I saw next took my breath away, and not in a Berlin way ...

WHHHATTTTTT. I immediately took a picture on my cellular phone and sent it to a trusted few. One poor soul asked me if if this was some unfortunate jean clutch with straps. Truly, that is how big it is. I only wish she would have been right.

Which leads me to my point today. What happened to normal shorts? You know - mid thigh? Thank God bermudas are making a comeback but honestly - look at how much fabric is here. This isn't normal. Nor is it okay. What are we saying to our tweens??

Are these shorts trying to fool us? Making them seem longer with the pockets hanging out? Shouldn't the pocket be a sort of - I don't know, a jumping off point to determine how short to cut them? And does this not look like the waist of an 8 year old?

We're way past Daisy Dukes now. There's no Duke involved anymore. These are just Daisies! The belt takes up half the short.I know someone is happy about it though ....... butterfly kisses to you all. Especially S.


3 comments:

Mandy Kay said...

oh my gosh, i love this! and i TOTALLY agree! shorts these days are really just glorified underwear! ESPECIALLY from stores like forever 21 (or what we like to call, forever-eleven!)!!!

Mel said...

Yuck. Yuck. Yuck.

Angie said...

Someone told me the other day I could pull off suspenders. They thought I had the body for it and dressed relatively trendy, and therefore could pull it off. I said suspenders belong on oompa loompas.