Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My latest escapes ..

... when Jane is asleep.

I need new TV back. Badly. I have hardly been watching TV lately. I dropped Gossip Girl. I stopped watching American Idol after Adam Lambert ruined it.

I need Fringe back. I need Modern Family and Cougar Town back (this week though, right?!). I need Glee back. I need The Sing-Off go to more main stream (and ditch Nicole Scherzinger, for the love of God).

But thank GOD for the Bachelor .... swoon. I am already sick of him apologizing though. So what he didn't find a girl on a reality-dating show? This shouldn't make him Public Enemy #1. It doesn't work for everyone, but at least it worked for Charlie and I.


I've been reading a lot more lately. I just finished up Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. It took me quite a while to get through the first 150 pages but after that I rolled through it. I didn't realize we'd be getting the same story sometimes, told by a different perspective, so I wish I had paid attention more in the beginning. This book absolutely scared the crap out of me. I suppose I'm too young to understand how it could possibly end that way but I enjoyed his writing immensely and can't wait to read more. I still think about the characters.

Right now I am reading Decoded by Jay-Z, it's sort of all over the place but if you're a fan of his work, I think what this book highlights the most is his motivation and passion behind his songs. That is what I've found the most interesting so far.

I recently read One Day by David Nicholls which surprised me. I hated one of the main characters until almost the very end but I whipped through this book and loved his style of writing. It's a very different sort of romantic-comedy. You meet the two main characters, and "catch up" with them the same day on different years.

Movie wise, I have not seen a thing - at least nothing to write out. I have so many movies I *want* to see - True Grit, The Fighter, Country Strong ... and yet no time to do so. Going to the movies now is a bit more of a production, especially with no free babysitting in-state. We've rented a few but of course our DVD player just crapped out on us (Shannon, this was the one you gave me, all those years ago!).

I've also been going the Y quite a bit more but that is not as interesting unfortunately. Although I have to say, going to the gym at noon during the week has spoiled me completely. There are maybe five people in the entire place.

What have you been up to?!?

No comments: