Thursday, December 18, 2008

Twilight, the movie

The bottom line - I didn't love it, and I didn't hate it.

I think Kristen Stewart totally nails Bella - and Edward is perfect, although not as good Bella. I liked the movie, as cheesy as it was (the book is cheesy too). I thought they got a ton of the characters dead on - like Bella, Edward, Alice, Jessica and Mike. I did not see Jasper coming at all - he threw me off. Aren't they supposed to be attractive? Emmett works, I thought Rosalie would be prettier. The movie flows, and it has to find ways to tell the story without voice overs the entire time, since so much of the book is what she is thinking.

I hated? The flashbacks. And any and all special effects. The baseball wasn't *bad* but it could have been so, so, so much better. M called it last night - it's like they came up under-budget and cut there. I really hope that doesn't happen again, and I doubt it will with all the money they made on this. Spend freely on special effects - I want to be scared, and hear the growls. James was ridiculous. I was suspecting someone much more animalistic and frightening.

I'm glad I saw it, the book is obviously, always going to be better but I hope they really try and make it a little more realistic with the vampire angle next time. Can't they get the people from Harry Potter?? If you haven't read the book though - you would probably hate it ...

2 comments:

Mel said...

You know, Cedric Diggory, I mean Robert Pattinson, totally has the Edward look "dead" on in this photo though. ;)

Anonymous said...

You know, I gotta disagree with you on this one, Wohn. I HATED Kristen as Bella. I thought she was WAY boring and did not nearly get the witty chemistry between Bella and Edward. They were EXTREMELY happy when they were together in the book... did that come accross to you in the movie?

Also, Edward, though Pattinson has the look dead on, I thought he was directed completely wrong in some parts. For instance, the part where he grabs Bella's arms and drags her into the woods just to yell at her. Edward would NEVER do that. He can't stand anyone to hurt Bella or be aggressive to her, let alone himself!

I realize I am obsessed with these books... and, read all four of them in the span of two weeks, so therefore feel VERY vested in these characters. I actually couldn't read another book for like a month because I didn't want to let them go. I even went so far as to read the leaked transcript of Midnight Sun off of my computer. But, we do agree on this... the movie could have been WAY better. I love Edward. And, the baseball scene was my favorite part. I thought all the vampires nailed it. I want to be a vampire and live forever with my perfect Edward!