Wednesday, April 15, 2009

One girl's beef with "ladies" sports apparel

This is where my story begins, the dreaded pink hat. A staple in every baseball apparel store I run across. I first saw the pink hat five years ago. My "friend" bought one for her daughter and tried to tell me it was acceptable because she was a little girl. As if little girls are only allowed to wear pink clothing. What is wrong with your own teams colors?? This outbreak must be stopped.

Pink, has no place in sports.
It started with the pink hat. Then a more fitted t-shirt, a zip up hooded sweatshirt, and I didn't mind it. I still complained about it (of course) but I wasn't openly agitated. I don't like to swim in clothing as I did in 7th grade, so I didn't mind the idea of clothing that fit women. But this sickness has gone TOO FAR. This, dear readers, is what every girl at Wrigley Field now looks like thanks to Alyssa Milano.



And I can only assume this is what it looks like in Boston. Intricate, pointless flower tank tops with ties and stonewash jean skirts. Note that the jean skirt is a key staple in all attire for women at sporting events. Because a) wearing a jean skirt on a hot day is super comfortable and b) it's just another chance to bedazzle.

Major League Baseball, take note. This is borderline offensive to the many women I know who watch, care about sports, and who also have no problem buying clothing in our own teams' colors (there is a whole other beef out there regarding buying hats in other colors like green, camouflage or tan/brown but that's another day). And there are a lot of Cubs references today on my blog but I just want to show no team is taking the epidemic seriously enough if a silver Tiffany's rip-off bracelet/watch with their logo in a cubic zirconium heart is being sold on their website.

Baseball isn't the only problem either.


These sweat pants (and they ARE sweatpants) aren't really the issue here for me. It's the boots. Please don't confuse red crushed velvet with jean.

The Cubs have a section for "dresses" and "swimwear." Only a few others do. You know who you are. Who in God's name is wearing this bikini? Baseball has never, and should never have cheerleaders. I'm talking to you - Chevrolet Pride Crew.

Cruel.
Actually this was the first item I saw of the Alyssa Milano "touch" collection that really got my blood boiling. We're bedazzling logos onto our jeans now? And people are buying them? This is our show of support for our team? This girl (although in all fairness she has very cute hair, I like the back a lot) looks like she's going out for drinks with friends. No one wears those heels to a game. And what team's colors are yellow and white?


You can actually find this under Women's Yankee's shirts. It's called the "peasant top." I suppose because it's navy and white it's clear she is a Yankees fan. I wonder if she has the bedazzled jeans too.
This jacket isn't that bad until you realize it barely covers her last rib. And here we are going for the khaki skirt and heavy gold bracelets because Pittsburgh is so lovely during football season. I hate you Steelers. So very much.


I hope you're happy Samantha Micelli.

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

It's just all so unnecessary. I will say I enjoy my tees fitted, but don't give me cropped, strategically ripped, sparkly, pink, excessively designed crap. Anyone who is a real fan of any sports team won't wear a floor length jersey gown. A JERSEY GOWN. Where is it okay to wear this? Where? Did I miss this trend? Designers should be ashamed.

JCHS Counseling said...

A weekend with the girls....priceless. Weren't all those women wearing pink baseball hats, sitting on the top of their heads, bangs exposed, and hair pulled through the hole with a scrunchy? Classy.

~ Shannon said...

I've been demoted to just "friend" in quotation marks. Cause I know you're talking about me, Wohn.

At any rate, this is all wrong. The pink hat on a little girl is cute...I still stand by that...but the rest of this is just crap. The jersey gown was the real kicker. WTF?!?

Wohn said...

I didn't want to totally call you out ..

Mel said...

Half the girls at Wrigley dress like hookers anyway so why not support the team (Cubs bikini top) while you're at it??!?! It's all HIDEOUS!

I like a fitted shirt too, but I've resorted to buying BOYS tees to avoid wearing pink! You know how PETA throws fake blood on furs? I want to do that to girls wearing pink Urlacher jerseys!

Unknown said...

Wow, I am happy to say this "upscale" women's wear has yet to hit the streets in Oakland.

Although I did see two stripper-looking ladies at the A's game on Saturday. Turned out they were Mariner's fans.

Amy said...

You'll be happy to know that I just bought Lyla a "normal" Mariners jersey in the traditional team colors. I looked at the pink ones, but figured it just didn't make sense to pay good money for something that doesn't really look like it's associated with the team. I'll post pictures soon - we're going to the game today and tomorrow.

Cynthia said...

HUMM....let me look through my pictures before I comment. OK, I agree! Seriously, I try to stay pretty classic. My hat is always the traditional White Sox black hat with the white logo and nothing else. I usually go with the youth size jersey in the team colors (don't care much for the women's style, too short). However, I do like to sport the fitted tee underneath the jersey on a hot day and own a pair of velvet White Sox pants but would never attempt to wear them with high heels. So Wohn, the next time we go to a game, remind me to wear my White Sox dress (old school colors, red & clue).

pbb said...

don't hate me, but i like the purple hats.

i totally agree with the rest of your blog though!

Amy P said...

I love this entry- its all so funny- I don't what's worse- the floor length jersey dress or the black stilettos with velvet sweatpants. I was just sitting here giggling at all of it.

Another example of the fact that just because they make it available - doesn't mean its fashionable.
Thanks for the laugh!

Gina Grace said...

All I know is that I wouldn't want to meet that Red Sox chick in a dark alley. She looks like a scrapper from Woosta'

Come to think of it, she probably already took a beating for modeling such ratahded clothes.