
Steve's recap:
Last Thursday was my only day in town last week, and it was not the best day I have ever had. Anyways, I am driving home from work and listening to The Loop, and they have a thing on there saying that ZZ Top is going to be filming a VH1 Storytellers in Chicago on Tuesday 3/31. Tickets can't be purchased, they are only given away, and it's at an undisclosed venue. The Loop had one pair of tickets to be given away each day.
So, I put Jennifer on the case and leave for Orlando. Between her and our friend Scott, they find the website with some info from a company called Gotham Casting, which is running the thing. We find out it is going to be at the Congress Theater on Milwaukee Avenue, near Western / Fullerton. There are only like 250 tickets, but you can send in a story of why you love ZZ Top and you get entered into this drawing.
Yesterday, I get out of a meeting at like 1230 and I have an email, saying I won two tickets. I call Jennifer, frantic, that we are going to ZZ Top tonight. As a topper, Obuchowski also wins two tickets, and brings his roommate Matt. And this is to see ZZ Top play to 250 people. It's like seeing one of the world's greatest bands play the Cordial Inn. This is all surreal.
So we get there early and get in line. Eventually, they bring the four of us into the theater and seat us, and I'm thinking it's great we have Jennifer, because if it was four guys, they probably would put us in the back row, because the place is basically ALL guys. I don't even realize what's going on, until I sit down, look up, and realize we are in the SECOND ROW. Five feet away from ZZ Top when they get out there.
So they came out, and I have to admit that I was stunned at how cool this whole thing was. I really can't even describe it or do it justice. They played 8 songs, answered questions, and then came out and played some songs again so VH1 could get camera angles right. It was spectacular. And we were in the second row, right in front of them. Never in a million years does something like this happen.
Anyways, that's my story. In a span of about 8 hours, I found out I had tickets, went to the show, sat 5 feet away, and it was over. It was such a blur. And SO cool. The only negative was no cameras, so I have no documentation (other than the upcoming video footage) of the whole night. But I'll never forget it.
It airs on VH1 starting on June 27th. You won't be able to miss us.
All for now. There's our brush with greatness story of the day.
"That just happened."

2 comments:
Finally. I have been waiting for this recap!
that is amazing! sounds like a one in a lifetime night~
Post a Comment