Friday, February 6, 2009

"You look fine"

Has anyone ever heard these three words on a Friday/Saturday night as they're getting ready to go out, usually from the male in their life?

"You look fine"
"You look cute"
"You look nice"
"We're late already"
"Why does it matter that I am clashing with you?"

Okay, maybe the last one is just at my house. My friends and I have had a chat about this and we've deemed these comments no longer acceptable. You see, Men, most of us are used to getting quite a bit more feedback. Sometimes *more* than we bargained for. This is especially true when dealing with a female whose had sisters, lived in a sorority or had girlfriends that lived nearby and frequently popped over. A lot of women enjoy shopping together (though I am kind of an exception to this, I prefer going alone), finding out what other people think about their outfit, their new idea, these new jeans. This usually happens with big purchases, but it can apply to everything. A bold move away from their own style, a dress for an important occasion, a night out with friends - we like an opinion. An honest, thoughtful opinion. "You look fine" doesn't cut it.

Men - let's dig a little deeper next Friday night. When ______ comes into the living room in an outfit and asks "How do I look?," take a breath first, before answering. Look up, start at the hair, and slowly look down. Observe the earrings, necklace, scarf, shirt, bracelet, jeans/dress/skirt and the shoes. What stands out? Does something look weird? Have you ever seen those earrings? Think about it. Find one thing - that you like, and mention it. What grabs you? Mention *that*. Now, if something stands out in a bad way, we honestly want to know. Because if YOU notice it, everyone will notice it. So if that navy shirt and jeans are the same color and look like one big jumpsuit - by God, it's your duty to say something. And if your friend/girlfriend/fiance/wife looks SMOKIN', and you have no further comment ..

Tell them.

(example of smokin' ..)


Example of: Try again. Take a shower. Re-do. I will call and tell them we're running late. And if that's not a wig maybe we should just cancel.

3 comments:

JCHS Counseling said...

Couldn't have said it better myself. Girls dress for girls. However, we like to look good for our guys too. Us girls want your friends to think "what a catch".

Mel said...

Awesome! So it's not just me?

Sean and I went to the movies last night with potential plans to head out after.

Me: Are we going to go out? I can't wear these winter boots then.

Sean: Why does it matter what shoes you wear?

Um...

Gina Grace said...

It's a nice request in theory, but I can't see it happening in my house- He'd take a big breath, start at my hair, work his way down and say things like, "you shirt makes you look like you have flippers. I like it!"

What?!?

Then I'd think I looked like a salmon, but in reality, it might look great. See, he's just not good with words, and typically uses the wrong ones.

Oh- and he also sometimes thinks that inappropriately tight pants are great!